TheMrsKetcham

Ketcham in the Rye

I like big books and I cannot lie. When I'm not teaching English to the youth of America, I am reading a book. Why? Because books are amazeballs!

The Rosie Project
Graeme Simsion
The Goldfinch
Donna Tartt

Queen of Someday by Sherry D. Ficklin

Queen of Someday - Sherry D. Ficklin

Fifteen-year-old Sophie leaves her beloved Germany to win the heart of Peter, future Emperor of Russia. This historical fiction is loosely based on the early life of Catherine the Great, the longest female ruler of Russia.

First of all, that cover! Beautiful. I was excited to read this novel as I love historical fiction. The story, while not entirely historically accurate, did capture my interest from beginning to end. I enjoyed Sophie's character, especially at the beginning when she fought off the bandits on her way to the Russian court. Her mother was believably portrayed as selfish and title hungry.

My only problem with the storyline was the amount of love interests. At first Peter was immature but likeable but quickly turned to a dark character with little or no redeeming qualities. Sergei and Alexander were too similar and could have been the same character.

I loved the description of the royal court and would have liked if there were more references to that particular era's history and lifestyle. Although I knew it took place in 1700s, it didn't read that way. It was modern in both dialogue and ideology. However, I am sure that this will appeal to audiences who are looking for a romance with a side of betrayal.

Thanking Clean Teen Publishing and NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.