TheMrsKetcham

Ketcham in the Rye

I like big books and I cannot lie. When I'm not teaching English to the youth of America, I am reading a book. Why? Because books are amazeballs!

The Rosie Project
Graeme Simsion
The Goldfinch
Donna Tartt

Dangerous by Shannon Hale

Danger is her middle name, and I warn you, dear reader, Maisie Brown knows how to find it. As a teenager, facing living with a disability, Maisie dreams of a world outside of the safe comforts of her homeschooled life. More specifically, she dreams of space.

"Every superhero has an origin story. Mine began with a box of cereal." Shannon Hale captures the reader's attention right away with these two lines, but is Maisie a superhero? This is where I fluctuate between liking and feeling indifferent towards Dangerous. I liked that she was a strong and smart science genius. In a society where heroines aren't necessarily nerds, I was all, "Yes! Nerdfighters unite!" Then she got all weepy over a boy. That she knew one day. Ugh!

Two characters that I did love from beginning to end: Maisie's Dad and Luther, her best friend (or Robin to her Batman). Dr. Nicholas Brown had just enough dorky dad qualities to make him both realistic and lovable. His "punny" one-liners made me grin and roll my eyes, like any teenager. Luther, Maisie's faithful best friend, was sincere and genuine.

I guess, as a whole the book, was entertaining. It seemed to jump very quickly through the plot without quite developing it fully. There was little world-building and I need that in my science-fiction. Astronaut camp would have been so much cooler if there was more of it. There are certainly plot twists that keep the reader guessing and Hale does a great job making sure we're never quite sure who the villain is.

Overall, I would rate his 3 out of 5 stars. I wouldn't read it again, but I would recommend it to my students who like science fiction or even comic books as it does have a superhero vibe to it.

I received this ARC from NetGalley. Thanks Bloomsbury!