TheMrsKetcham

Ketcham in the Rye

I like big books and I cannot lie. When I'm not teaching English to the youth of America, I am reading a book. Why? Because books are amazeballs!

The Rosie Project
Graeme Simsion
The Goldfinch
Donna Tartt

Don't Even Think About It

Don't Even Think About It - Sarah Mlynowski

Don't Even Think About It by Sarah Mlynowski is a tough one for me to review. I'm not sure if I'm too far removed from the topic that it just didn't appeal to me or if it was just all together poorly conceived.

First, let's discuss the subject matter. A group of teens get a vaccine and find out they can (insert gasp) hear each other's thoughts. I don't know if this is what is truly going on inside the heads of teenagers but I'd like to think there was more going on than what was provided in the book. It was so superficial and I just couldn't help but think that there had to be a better way to depict teenagers. There was no real suspense and the characters were so mundane that I couldn't get myself to care what happened to them.

As far as style of writing, I didn't like the use of the word "we" and then no one in the story was "I". I felt that the storyline lent itself to one character's first person narration. Overall, I would not recommend this book as I feel that it could have been so much more if there was more depth. Not that all books should be literary classics, but Don't Even Think About It was barely readable.

I received this ARC from NetGalley. Thanks, Random House Children's!