TheMrsKetcham

Ketcham in the Rye

I like big books and I cannot lie. When I'm not teaching English to the youth of America, I am reading a book. Why? Because books are amazeballs!

The Rosie Project
Graeme Simsion
The Goldfinch
Donna Tartt

The Here and Now by Ann Brashares

The Here and Now - Ann Brashares

Prenna James arrived in New York at the young age of twelve.  Not off a boat.  No, she came from the future.  A world so ruined that those uninfected by a mosquito-borne plague must escape to a different time.  Rules are to be followed so that no one knows that she and those that traveled with her are not who they seem to be.  Prenna follows the rules, religiously.  Until she meets Ethan.

I wanted to like The Here and Now by Ann Brashares more than I did.  I guess maybe there is just too much of an influx of dystopian literature for YA out there right now.  Don’t get me wrong.  I liked it.  It was original.  I just wish there was a more substantial plot.  There were times when I could put it down and walk away for weeks and not think about it.  This is when I knew that it wasn’t great.  However, when I came back to it, I did enjoy it.  So…I will have to say that I liked it but it’s not memorable.

I received this book as an ARC from NetGalley.  Thanks, Delacorte Press!